As mentioned in my post from last week, a new year presents a great opportunity to make some preparedness related goals.
One such goal you could make is to learn a new skill, or you can at least add to some of your current abilities.
Here are some examples:
- Gardening: If you do not have these skills already, I would make learning this a priority. There are few skills which have as much importance for long term survival as this one does.
- Water Procural and Purification: Again, for survival, if you do not have these skills, your survival may depend on you obtaining them.
- First-Aid and Medical Skills: Just like obtaining water, knowing first-aid skills may mean the difference between life and death of either yourself or a loved one. Learning these skills should be a top priority.
- Ham Radio: If you were interested in adding amateur radio to your emergency communication skills, here is a good post to help you get started. If you are already a ham, perhaps you may wish to increase your skills with adding radio email capabilities, creating mesh nets, or exploring digital modes.
- Bushcraft Skills: There are many survival skills which fall under this category. I’m sure you could learn or expand some.
- Orienteering: Are you good with a compass? Do you know how to find your way with or without one? Also, you may consider adding celestial navigation to your skill set.
- Firearms and Security: How are your self-defense skills? If you need to acquire or strengthen these skills, you may want to consider doing so.
- Canning and Food Preservation: These skills go hand-in-hand with gardening, hunting, and other skills. If you produce your own food, you will need a way to preserve it.
- Blacksmithing: If you had this skill, you would have quite an advantage in a long-term survival or homesteading situation.
These are just a few of the many skills you could choose from to add to your current preps. By no means is this list exhaustive, or should it overwhelm you with so many options available. There is definitely a lot to learn. This list was presented to give you some ideas of what you could pursue during the New Year.
Enjoy your preps, and again, Happy New Year!