At this time of year, I often try to reflect on the blessings that I have. Although I am not rich as defined by material possessions, I am rich in other means.
- I have my health. I am grateful that I am not currently suffering from any major health issues, which is more than many could say. I am also grateful that my family is healthy as well.
- I have my free will. Too many take for granted their ability to think for themselves. I hope you do not overlook such a blessing.
- I have many freedoms that I enjoy. I do not take for granted freedoms such as the freedom of speech, the freedom to worship as I choose, and the freedom to bear arms. Such freedoms are not found everywhere and are not enjoyed by everyone, so because I have these freedoms, I feel incredibly blessed.
- I have what I need to survive. I have the necessities of life such as shelter, food, warmth, and companionship. I am grateful to be able to count these as my blessings. I sincerely hope you can as well.
- I have my faith. I cannot emphasize enough how much my faith keeps me going. I am truly grateful for it.
- I have my life. A few weeks ago, I had an acquaintance who was coldly murdered. It was such a tragic end to a young life. However, such an event puts everything into perspective. It makes one realize that all you enjoy right now could be gone in a moment…and that makes one extremely grateful for each “one more moment” experienced.
So this time of year, I suggest that you take a moment to think of the many blessings that you have. You may be rich, or you may not be so materially blessed. But if you are reading this, you have your life…which is truly a grand blessing that can be used to open your list.